top of page

OPEN 2017 by the Numbers!

for the first time ever!

Hey all,

Suffice to say that this year's Open was an absolutely amazing, surprising, humbling, and inspiring experience for our Vic City community. You all now know the impact that this challenge can have on you as individuals and on our community as a whole... and that it goes much beyond the physical experience of completing the wods.

The Open is an emotional and at times spiritual experience. The roller coaster of feelings that we went through almost completely covers the full range of emotions that are possible to experience. When defining the Open as a whole though, it would be missing something if we didn't come in with some hard data.

So here, is CrossFit Vic City's 2017 Open, in Numbers.

110 members registered, almost 40 more than last year, and fully 60% of our membership!

2 teams represented our gym for the first time ever - Vic City Black and Vic City Green

37th is the placing that Vic City Green achieved in the Canada West Region, out of 110 registered teams. Furthermore, VCG was the 1272nd ranked team in the WORLD, which is in the top 30%

1st in Canada West, for the first time ever, Vic City Black! This is after losing two top scorers from last year, testament to the incredible fitness of VCB team members. VCB ended up 205th in the WORLD, which is the top 4.8%

9th spot in Canada West was secured by Meghan McDade! She finished in 540th in the WORLD, which is in the top 0.3% of over 150,000 women!

8th spot in Canada West was achieved by Caleb Woiwod, securing his 2nd individual spot at Regionals! He finished in 630th in the WORLD which is also the top 0.3% of 202,000 men!

3rd in the Open in Canada West was Caileigh McDade, representing an astounding 205th in the WORLD, or in the top 0.1% of all registered women. Now when someone mentions the statistic "99.9 percent of the time", you can say you know someone who is in the other 0.1%! Caileigh will be competing in her 4th straight Regionals.

47th in the WORLD is Gail Cort, who will move on to the next stage of qualifiers against the top 200 in her Master's division!

In other master's divsions, Zeke Cabell (9th), Will Parris (17th), and Sean Lind (29th) did very well in Canada West.

Tracey Woiwod (6th), Mark Woiwod (12th), and Scott Harlow (13th), and Neil Rich (16th) also performed to a very high standard in Canada West.

These top numbers are the result of many things... the commitment to train hard day in and day out, the dedication to recovery and nutrition, the mental stamina to push at the Open wods once, twice, or even three times.

But most importantly, the above numbers are possible only through the support of a strong and united community. Throughout the Open, people cheered, judged, yelled, hugged, and overall encouraged each other to achieve their best performance. And while those numbers above represent our peak performances, they are only a small percentage of the incredible efforts put forth by our community.

Without the unity, sense of combined purpose, and honest support of each other that is symbolic of our gym, Vic City and it's athletes would not be where we are today.

So thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for making this gym not only the BEST gym at fitnessing this year, but also the place that so many people can attend, feel welcome, and enjoy the process of physical betterment.



Training Wednesday - Thursday

Warm-up: 3 rounds - 12 russian kbs,1 length KB offset front rack walk, 8 goblet squats, 1 length KB offset front rack walk back, 12 double crunch.

WOD: Stubby Nurwor

Well team, it's time to get back into some running! We take the winter off to focus on open prep and some rowing, but now the temperatures and daylight hours are a lot more conducive to getting outside.

For this workout, you will need a partner who will be about the same speed as you. Ease into these runs, don't feel the need to go fast right off the bat.

25 min time cap

Rx: 6 rounds each person for time of: 300m row, 200m run

TG: 3 rounds

Cash-Out: 5 sets of 6-10 DB strict press superset with 6-10 hammer curls with same DBs

bottom of page